Tuesday, November 3, 2009

#019 CREAM ON ALL INDIA RADIO

I had the fortune of listening to the vocal recital of Shri T.M.Krishnan, in the National Program of Music, on All India Radio, Delhi, today at 10.p.m. The main item he sang, was in Rag Begad`a. It was a master-piece. He sang: "Kailaasapatee! Pas`upatee! Umaapatee! Namostutee!". I felt like being in Kailasa (Mount Everest) when he peaked the musical scales.

We have a proverb in Telugu about the raga "Begada". Begad`a is miigad`a (CREAM). Begad`a belongs to the Melakarta (parent group) S`ankaraabharan`am. The parent raaga Sankarabharanam has a straight motion, whereas Begada runs in a twisted motion. The rendering by Krishnan and his teammates Sanjiivi and Subrahmanyam made the CREAM a great feast.

One pertinent question which lingers in my mind is: Is musical talent, a God-given gift? Or a self-acquired skill? Or both?

2 comments:

జేబి - JB said...

I might be wrong, but as far as I know:

Meegada - Cream
Zunnu - Cheese
Venna - Butter

ybr (alias ybrao a donkey) said...

THANK YOU. I HAVE CORRECTED.

Widget By Devils Workshop